Monday, December 24, 2012

Luggage and The Baths at Virgin Gorda plus Coco Maya's



Monday, December 24, 2012
Still no internet on the boat. Got up and put on a pot of coffee and went to the restroom onshore.  When I got back Steph was awake so we went to shore to use the internet and find out about her luggage. It’ll be on the 11:00 am flight. We were told to be there at customs or it will be returned to Beef Island.  
Waiting for breakfast and using the internet at the Bath and Turtle
Our mechanic J-E-S-S-E
We had breakfast at the Bath and Turtle and used their internet, then walked over to the boatyard to see if the guy could look at our kill switch on the engine. They couldn’t do anything with our block for the sail but while Steph and I were wandering the shops, customs and the ferry dock, Wayne stayed at the boat and Chris Cooke (the guy from the boatyard) came by with his son (Jesse) to work on the switch.  Jesse was acting as the mechanic to fix our switch. He was diligently screwing it back together when Steph and I got here, so I questioned him relentlessly on what was wrong with it? He had patience and explained what he was doing to fix it. It was so cute… He bet me I couldn’t spell his name right. I said my grandson’s name is Jesse and spelled it for him. He looked dumbfounded that I spelled it right. I said how do people usually spell it? Jessie. Oh… I think that’s the girls spelling. He was a cutie…
Rough way to wait for luggage :)
Steph and I walked over to meet the 12:20pm ferry. The bag wasn’t on it. It will be here on the 2pm ferry… Okay… So Steph went out on the beach to catch some sun in her new swimsuit from BVI Divers and we headed back over to the ferry dock at 2pm to pick up her bag then headed back to the boat.  It was hot but I think it always is here. Around 3:30pm we decided to walk over to the Baths National Park.  I made some rum punch for our walk and we headed down the road with drinks in hand. It took us about 40 minutes to get there and we saw taxi after taxi bringing the tourists back from the baths and heading for VGYH. 
Steph walking between the rocks to the cave
By the time we got there I think Steph was okay but Wayne and I were a bit winded from the heat.  The huge granite boulders all balance on each other forming tunnels, grottos, paths and caves and they didn’t disappoint us. It’s an impressive display of building size granite giants! We took the path down to the water and watched a group of youngsters scurry past us to find the Geocache hidden in a grotto. They found some foreign coins and other items and it was fun to watch their excitement. It reminded me of Sophie and Zach and I could picture them zooming past us to find the hidden box. It made me smile.

How well is this boulder wedged did you say mom???
Well polished mega granite - it would make a great slide or a good place for a photo op!
The various granite blocks in the sand make wonderful hidy holes to explore
Stephanie in the boulders :)
hmmm guess you'll have to crane to look at this one - it won't straighten for some reason!
 
Hope this video comes out. it was like a butterfly extravaganza coming back from the Baths. Tried capturing it on camera but it just didn't do it justice. I tried videoing after but must of the butterflies had left.
Beach shot as we're leaving the Baths on Virgin Gorda
We caught a taxi back to Coco Maya for sundowners and their awesome chili, lime and honey ribs and shrimp curry. I can’t believe that place. The food and atmosphere was as incredible as I remembered it. We enjoyed the ambiance of the place, sitting on the beach with our drinks, watching the sunset. They had a steel drum band and we kicked back enjoying the fire on the beach, the music and each others company before walking back to the boat. I loved being able to share this with Steph and Wayne. 
fire pit and loungers at Coco Maya - Sundowner time and appetizers


Another shot of Coco Maya - you can see the couchs, dining area and bar area

Steph trying out some of their wine - it was delicious and right on the water - who could ask for more?

Our little area for drinks, ribs, and Shrimp Curry
Looking in the other direction where the musicians set up next to the granite boulders

Can't believe we actually were sitting next to a fire in the tropics.

Kicking back enjoying the atmosphere with full tummies as the sun has left. Shall we head back to the boat yet?

Okay not yet...

 Christmas Eve… Wonderful – I feel blessed…

No comments:

Post a Comment