Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Christmas Departure from Virgin Gorda to Norman Island



Tuesday, December 25, 2012
Merry Christmas everyone! After showers and a last breakfast sandwich at the Bath and Turtle, we proceeded to depart Virgin Gorda. Unfortunately when we got back to the boat it started to rain so we decided to hold off a bit before starting the engine. It started right up. A large catamaran had come in earlier and docked at the cement walkway behind our boat and I was leery of backing into him (I sometimes don’t back up well).  So I warned him I don’t back well and he said he’d throw out a fender or two. Anyhow by the time we were set to leave he asked if we’d like help with our lines and I said “sure”! Problem was, I couldn’t get the boat to go in reverse. It wouldn’t go… Talk about not backing up well! We tied back up and kept playing with forward, neutral and reverse. It finally started to reverse slowly while I kept gunning it. I’d forgotten that when we replaced the throttle last season that reverse is just a bump away from neutral, NOT all the way up. It seemed to make a difference and we finally pulled out of the yacht harbor and had a nice sail over to Norman Island under mostly sunny skies. The wind was with us and the swells were too so it made for a very nice trip to the Bight where we picked up our mooring for the evening.
We were going to take Steph over to Billy Bones and the Pirate ship but it was not to be… We had rum punches then Wayne lowered the dink. He couldn’t seem to get it to start and ended up spending the rest of the daylight hours working on the little motor while Steph and I chatted in the cockpit and read.
So glad we bought salads and sandwiches from the store this morning!
I am glad to be away from my stalker on Virgin Gorda and the plan is to head to Jost Van Dyke to clear out of the BVI tomorrow, then clear back into the USVI in Cruz Bay.
I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas. Sometimes reverse is not meant to be, in time or in boats but my memories did go into reverse to a place in time of many Christmas’s and our boat carried us from reverse to forward to a new place in Christmas memories.
Wayne & Stephanie at the helm on the way to Norman from Virgin Gorda

No comments:

Post a Comment