Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Leaving the BVI for the USVI



Wednesday, December 26, 2012
Onward from Norman Island today to Jost Van Dyke then St. John’s. 
The sailing was great. We reached 7 knots at times during the course of the day. We dropped our mooring at at 9am and got into Great Harbor, Jost Van Dyke at 11:47am and picked up a mooring to check in. Finicky little dinghy started right up this time. Several boats were checking in so Steph and I left the Customs House while Wayne checked us in and we went to a little place next to it for some beverages. Steph asked Bobby if he made a good rum punch and told him that her mom made a very good one. He said yes I make the best around! I watched him as he pulled out a bottle of punch and proceeded to make her a rum punch topped with fresh nutmeg. I said I’ll take one of those but without the rum… Well, madam… it’s not a rum punch then… but he got me a punch anyways! I’m thinking his secret weapon might be Rose’s Lime… It definitely added zip to the punch! I’ll have to try it out next time even though Steph said she liked mine better…
Wayne had to take the cover off the motor to pull the little cord thing so he could start it to get us back to the boat again. Did I say finicky? Maybe stubborn is the right word. I think that if the cover isn’t placed on just soooooo, it won’t let Wayne pull the cord to start the motor. 

Bobby making a rum punch at the Jost Van Dyke spot next to Customs...

Steph tasting it.... It's good but not as good as yours mom LOL
By the time we approached St. John’s I changed course and came in closer to the island. The waves that were reflecting back from the outer rocks convinced me that it was much nicer closer to shore. It looked like there were 2 cruise ships in Cruz Bay so instead of heading in there; we detoured and took a mooring at Caneel Bay. I missed the mooring the first time and had to come around for it again. I blamed it on my Virgin Rum Punch and we had sandwiches for dinner and hung out on the mooring instead of heading by taxi or dink to Cruz Bay. We figured that by the time we got there Customs would be closed.

No comments:

Post a Comment