Thursday, December 27, 2012

St John's for a swim, shower and a wonderful BBQ



Ugh what a night. It was a humid and sporadic rain/sprinkle kind of night where we had to close up all the hatches and ports so it made it more stifling below deck.  I had to keep opening the ports as soon as it quit for air and finally gave in and turned on the fan after closing the ports for the umpteenth time. My head was pounding and the pain was shooting through my jaws and back of my neck.  I hoped that Steph was managing to sleep through this heat.
Wayne dinghied over to Cruz Bay for customs only to return and say that Steph and I both needed to be there to check in too. So things have changed. Last time we checked into customs with Greg and Laura we were all chased out and told “Captain only”. The Customs Officer this time “Frances” was very personable and we were in and out in a jiffy. It was neat to see Cruz Bay. It’s been many years. Never did see a hardware store but did notice how things had changed. We thought maybe in the Lumberyard (a new complex to us) we might find the hardware store that Tom works at but didn’t. Sorry Tom.
We checked out Mongoose Junction. It was nice to see it finally finished but the Canvas Factory was gone. I loved their canvas bags too and was hoping to get another. So we spent the late morning/early afternoon checking out the stores while Wayne Limed and people watched then we had some lunch (steak wraps and burgers) and dinghied over to Caneel Bay. We were told we couldn’t leave the grounds and had to stay behind the beach chair line (ie don’t use our beach) so we ended up dinghying back over to Cruz Bay to catch a ferry to Cinnamon Bay.
I love that place. Seeing the park again, the showers, tents, store, platform area where we’d eat and spend time playing games, was so special to me. It brought back a lot of memories. The cat hanging out at someone’s tent hoping for a hand out, the sound of peepers, the smells of the various plants, wet tropical scents and the beautiful beach of white sand and turquoise water… memories of special moments and sad moments rolled into feelings that made me melancholy and happy at the same time.
We changed into our swim suits and jumped into the water, then showered off the sand and saltwater and went to see what was on the menu at the Raintree Terrace. I hated to say it but nothing appealed to me especially when I saw that there were severe outbreaks of Denge Fever on St Johns. We’d have to stay until after dark to eat there so we headed back again to Cruz Bay and had some wonderful bbq chicken with slaw and corn on the cob at a place called Uncle Joe’s. Good choice. The smells of the bbq entice you in off the street to come sit in the little corner, open air restaurant. The actual meal did not disappoint! It was wonderful washed down with Heineken and Presidente beer. Very satisfying… 
mmmmmm just looking at Steph's plate I can taste and smell the chicken allllllll over again

grrrr sideways again! Steph and Wayne at Uncle Joe's - I WISH my brother could make this mmmmm
The ride back to the boat in the dinghy was refreshing and the full moon peeking at us behind the clouds kept drawing my eye up to the sky to enjoy the orb playing peekaboo with us. St. Thomas is lighting up the sky in its evening colors too and it’s all so very lovely. So what started out a hot and headachy day turned out to be very enjoyable. Once again I feel so blessed. What a lovely day it’s been…

No comments:

Post a Comment