Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Tuesday February 28, 2012 Black Point Settlement, Great Guana Cay


We heard Blue Yonder this morning at 8am. It was good to hear her give the weather (channel 12 on the VHF). We were wondering when we’d be able to hear her and if she was still broadcasting. Question answered. We picked up Chris Parker this morning too and it looks like we still have a few days before any break in the winds and waves to go on the outside (off the banks) to get down to Georgetown. It’s regatta week there right now, so I don’t really mind waiting for that to be finished before we get there.

We worked on the SSB (the shortwave/single sideband radio from Blue Pearl) this morning and Axel came by to help us out too. Got the tuner put into the battery compartment of the boat, the wires run from the cabin to the back. Then Mary hailed me to see if I’d like to run into town. But of course! So she came by and picked me up in her dink and I left Wayne to continue working on the SSB, and Axel was working on their antenna and a cleat on the bow of their boat.

After tying up at the government dock, we headed over to Lorraine’s to pick up bread and get on the internet. Got the bread, but the internet was not working so we headed over to Scorpio’s. I’d never been in there before. It’s a nice place. Spacious, clean and it has a setup for a band in one section near the bar and 2 rooms with tables. It was a little dark in there, but there were plenty of power strips and the wifi was free. We ordered sodas, were able to log onto the internet with no problem, then ordered and split a turkey club (it was pretty good too). I was in heaven because when we got our sodas they came side by side with a glass of ice! Mmmmmm… grape soda with lots of ice!

I was able to check my email and post to Facebook but didn’t do much more than that. I’m flabbergasted at how much junkmail clogs up the email! It was good to hear from Steph and Mary and I was tickled pink to hear from Barb and Klaus! I have some wonderful pictures of Barb going up the mast and have to make sure when I get a good connection to send them to her! It may take a while but I’ll get them to them. It sounds like they’re having fun and exploring in Florida! mmmmm ice cream!!!! Hopefully I can get back and do some more stuff tomorrow. I’d love to answer some of my emails!

Once back at the boat, I helped Wayne lay the counterpoise (ground?) in the bilge/soul of the boat. It reflects the waves from the antenna of the SSB into the ionosphere. The boat is pretty well torn up, with things out of their storage places and all over the place, so we can access the belly of the boat for the wires and counterpoise. So I was pretty grateful to head over to Azaya for a chicken oriental salad for dinner. It was delicious!

We enjoyed a wonderful sunset with a red sky, towering cumulus clouds tinted blue, green, gray and white with a background of higher wisps of streaking stratus. I was wishing I had my camera and conch horn too when I heard people blowing theirs from the various boats. It’s time for all the anchor lights to come on.

We looked over charts after dinner and talked about various places to go and places to anchor. It looks like there are all kinds of neat anchorages between here and Galliot Cut/Musha Cay. I think Mary & Axel would like to head out and explore some of them tomorrow, but we’re just not ready with the SSB half-done and things all over the place. We definitely need tomorrow here…

No comments:

Post a Comment