Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Marina at Emerald Bay - Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Washed the bed quilt and towels this morning at 5:30am – I couldn’t sleep. Then I was talking with Glen & Pam about when they were heading over to Long Island. We’re having a meeting at 4:30 to see what everyone’s plans are. We checked out the weather and it’s iffy about whether we’re leaving tomorrow or Thursday and then where to go? Georgetown or Long Island? Who is going where?

Axel was working on the boat and Mary Clare was working on the computer and finishing up laundry. She seemed pretty intent on the computer so I didn’t want to pester her to see what she had in mind or if she wanted to go to the market with me. She seemed pretty busy so I was going to get Wayne to go with me and Blue Pearl said they needed bread so we ended up going for provisions with Blue Pearl and getting the shuttle back. The store was pretty well stocked but I was bummed that the tomatoes were very cold – almost to the point of frozen. I picked up some yeast and onions for Marijka and was shocked to see that they wanted $4.59 for 3 small packages of yeast! They also were advertising 36 rolls of toilet paper for $50.00 – yikes! Glad we don’t need any…

Wayne and I were going over the charts of Long Island and looking at the Jumentos and Ragged Islands. I need to make sure of my coordinates for the Tropic of Cancer – since it’s not a fixed location (it wanders along with our wobble) I want to make sure I get the correct coordinates. It was 23degrees 27 minutes latitude and I think that that’s pretty much the standard used – BUT - I need to be technically correct if I’m going to do this! So I looked it up and for the Epoch 2011. It is now located at 23°26’16” North Latitude of the Equator. It’s presently drifting south at the rate of almost half a second (0.47″) of latitude per year (it was at exactly 23º 27' in year 1917). It passes just south of Simms on Long Island so I now know where to do my little latitude dance!

We had a meeting on Aurora at 4:30pm and it looks like they’re going to go to Long Island before heading over to Rum Cay. Azaya is heading for Georgetown to wait for Colleen and I believe that we, Blue Pearl and Sid may be heading for Long Island. We’ll see. It looks like we all have different destinations in mind as to where to go on Long Island.

No comments:

Post a Comment