Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Little Farmers Cay to the Marina at Emerald Bay

Sunday, January 23, 2011
It’s windy out. It really kicked up last night and the wind shifted to the north some time during the night. I can see the sun trying to rise above the horizon. The clouds are a darker shade of gray, mottling a gray sky tinged with light salmon pink behind Otto’s orange/pink conch colored octagon house and the geodesic dome.

It was a long sleepless night and I find I can’t unclench my teeth. Coffee, time to make coffee.

I took pictures of the sunrise and was so inspired by it that I pulled out my drawing pad and pencils and drew the first picture this year of Big Farmers Cay with the Octagonal houses and the dome. It felt good to finally try a quick 10-minute drawing.

We were going to pull out at around 8:00am but the winds were still high so we all decided to hang out until 10:00am and see what the weather and waves looked like in the cut. The waves were crashing into the reefs this morning and it would have been foolish to try to go out with the currents. To many large breaking waves in the cut. Since high tide is at 10:10am we might have less wave action with slack tide.

Blue Yonder came on the radio this morning with the weather around 8:20am. It was good to hear her voice again. I guess her radio had been down and in a couple of days she’s going on a 2 week cruise but it was good to hear her this morning with here small craft caution and all…

I plotted a course to Emerald Bay (N23 38.29 x W075 54.75). It’s 31.23 NM from Farmer’s Cay to there. At high tide we lifted our anchor and released our mooring line for a sail to Emerald Bay. It started out a little boisterous and we slammed a little leaving the cut. We got the Yankee out reefed and the main up, then unfortunately Wayne started turning green in the gills. What should have been a terrific sail day turned into another foul stomach day for Wayne and it actually got kind of chilly. I found that I had to turn Otto (the autohelm) on and run below to get a sweatshirt.

We heard Blue Pearl come on the radio at 2:00pm hailing Azaya. They were at Emerald Bay seeing their daughter off at the airport. I guess it’s cheaper by $10 to go to the airport from there than Georgetown so we got to see them when we pulled into our slips. It was great to see them again and get a hug from them once we got tied up at the dock.

Wow! This place is swanky! They rolled out carpets for our boats and the décor in the office and clubhouse is gorgeous. They have large screen TVs, a pool table, free coffee and tea; the showers are delightful and hot, clean, large and I feel like I’m at the Ritz Carlton in Chicago! They supply shampoo, bath gel, conditioner, shaving cream, skin lotion and sun block. The only thing missing are the towels. We all enjoyed the hot showers and I especially enjoy having clean hair! We checked out the laundry and it’s clean with large capacity machines – 4 washers and driers and no coins needed. From what I understand it’s affiliated with the Sandals Resort so if they actually weren’t promoting this place for business, we probably would not be able to afford to stay here!


Marijka, Glen, me, Pam, Wayne, Mary Clare, Axel and Harry
 We had happy hour in the upstairs captain’s lounge with Blue Pearl, Azaya and Aurora then had dinner aboard Azaya. I love these people. Pam can crack me up while keeping a straight face, Marijka has the softest nature and Mary feels like a kindred spirit! It was a delightful evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment