Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Thursday, November 26, 2009 Happy Thanksgiving!

Swansboro to Camp Lejeune, Mile Hammock Bay NC 14.5nm
(N34*41.149 W77*07.146) to (N34*33.177 W77*19.520)

Happy Thanksgiving to all! I must say that I’m thankful for being able to do what we’re doing. There are times when it’s trying but I’m grateful that we’ve gotten the chance to be able to explore our world in this manner. Opportunity doesn’t always knock and when it does, you may not like the choices in what you have to give up in order to gain something else. But sometimes in order to live, you can’t always be secure. I know that. Thank you family and friends for letting us believe it possible and for allowing us to make it happen. We love you all… Thinking about you too during this time of thanks giving.


     We raised our anchor at 8:00am and said goodbye to the quaint little town of Swansboro. This town is the closest one to Camp Lejeune and is Marine Corps focused. The military is its lifeblood and I look forward to returning to explore it more in the future. It’s a lovely town on the waterway.
    
Onslow Beach Bridge is run by the marines now and opens on the ½ hour. As we went through the opening I wished him well and told him I hoped they save him some turkey. I got a “me to ma’am, me too”. Thank you marines and all the armed forces.

We saw dolphins again as we approached Mile Hammock Bay. What a welcome sight! We pulled into the anchorage at 11:00am and dropped the hook near the old ship that’s been there since WWII, and the pilings underwater next to it. We want to make sure that we have a good set to the anchor tonight – they’re calling for possible gale force winds from the North West late tonight, so it’s important to make sure we have a good set. It’s not fun having to get up late night in the cold and gusting winds to make sure that you’re not dragging into other boats or into shore. We backed down on the anchor to 1500rpms and she held very well. Since we were the only ones in the anchorage except for a fisherman we had the luxury of picking our spot to the North West and setting the hook without worrying about other boats. We’re not expecting any military maneuvers tonight since it’s a holiday weekend and it’s very quiet here today. A few fishermen keep coming and going on shore. It’s a day of little people fishing at the military bay… some show up for a while and throw in their lines then leave and others’ show up to replace them. A couple of boats came in casting nets. We weren’t sure if they were looking for baitfish or herring… Herring season ends this weekend. One of the fishermen was talking to another telling him that there was a boat in here the last time he was here that looked like ours but bigger. I was wondering if it was Sapphire since they also stop here.


I got my turkey and stuffing made without problems and dinner was very nice. Everything tasted great until I got to the pumpkin pie. I couldn’t believe I didn’t have any whipped cream and I added way to much clove. Looking back at the recipe it called for a ¼ tsp of cloves and I guess I used ½ tsp along with the ginger and nutmeg… oops.

All in all it was a nice and peaceful day. We now have two powerboats and two other sailboats in the anchorage with us. The last sailboat in is from Michigan. He made it in just after sundown. The winds are starting to pick up. The seagulls like the turkey skin scraps and I’m sure the crabs will like the carcass when we’re done with it.




No comments:

Post a Comment