Monday, January 13, 2014

Monday, January 13, 2014




The winds were still up and rain was just ending and still threatening when I got up to shower and listen to the weather. Wayne’s stomach wasn’t well on top of things so we decided to just stay today. Axel came by for coffee & English muffins.  He told us that Keith (who runs things at the boatyard) was coming by to look at his rat damage so we were kinda hoping that he’d do something to make amends with Azaya. For two years they’ve been trying to get a quote to get some work done on the boat and have been ignored. Now they have rat damage on top of things. But Keith checked things out and didn’t do much else from the sounds of things. Maybe he did after we left.
     Axel brought some juice, cheese & crackers over for lunch and I chopped up an orange & banana to go with it and we sat eating and chatting a bit before Axel headed back to work on the boat. Later Wayne and I walked over to customs to check out of the British Virgin Islands so that we could leave in the early morning. Then on to the office to chat with Lucy N to see if she wanted us to check out tonight or tomorrow. We’ll catch her in the morning… I’ll miss her smiling face & lilting voice! We walked to the water to check out conditions and winds were still up but the seas looked pretty good so I think we’ll be fine tomorrow. It’s kind of protected through Drakes Passage to St John so the waves shouldn’t be too bad.
     We swung by Azaya and checked out the rat damage.  Axel did a pretty good job of cleaning up and it didn’t look as extensive as what I’d built up in my mind. I know they’d done a number on our rugs and pillow (shredding them)  so I was really expecting a total mess on Azaya. They had done some extensive damage to Azaya's cabinet wicker faces and wood work and the plastic containers. Mary will be happy to get new containers BUT Mary’s not going to be too happy when she sees what they did to her artwork. I really had built it up to much worse in my mind. After making Azaya somewhat livable, Axel decided to start working on the project that he originally came down to work on - chipping away at the old paint and fairing. We could see the aluminum body underneath as he exposed it. It’s in good shape. I hope he sends us pictures when he gets her finished. I think it will look great! I remember one time when the light was just right, she glowed silver and was gorgeous. I hope the finished product turns out well.
     On the way back to our boat Wayne & I swung by the deli for sandwiches – I got two because I figured Axel wouldn’t remember to stop by there before 6:00pm when they closed & when he came by to see if we wanted to go grab a bite to eat, I was glad I did. They have great sandwiches at cheaper prices than the restaurants so I enjoyed staying in. We sat around in the cockpit chatting with our sandwiches and beers and before I knew it, it was approaching 8:00pm. I think we’ve run the gamut of topics the last few days. But I think Wayne and I have always enjoyed the conversations with Axel & Mary. I’m sorry I won’t get to say goodbye to Mary but glad we got the chance to see Axel once more. I did email everyone but never did hear back from Mary… I know she’s busy & hope she also remembers us fondly as they continue their travels. Maybe someday we’ll meet again. You never know… Sometimes the world seems like a rather large place but sometimes it’s a small world too.
     We have a wonderful waxing gibbous moon and bright twinkling stars… perhaps I’ll howl at the moon when it’s full. Just one more time… but this time I’ll be a solo she wolf remembering past howling moons…

No comments:

Post a Comment