Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 Nassau Harbor Club Marina


Nassau Harbor, New Providence Island N25 04.489 W077 18.764

After coffee we walked over to the Mercury dealer for a zinc anode and spark plugs for the dinghy motor. Unfortunately, they didn’t have either for us. I did see a terrific little Hobie kayak that was just screaming to be attached to my hand as I left the store. It wasn’t an ocean going kayak like Azayas but I thought it would be great fun on the lake at home. It had a place for fishing poles, tackle and a drink carrier. Pretty sweet…

We were going to have Dairy Queen and Subway today (junk food heaven) but Bob from Shining Star quickly changed my mind with the offer of Chinese food down the street. The place is rumored to be the only place around to have Conch Cantonese and it sounded like something I really should try. So I headed over to Starbucks to check and see if there were any emails, etc… Then headed back to the boat. I rinsed the boat down and topped up our water while Wayne jerry canned fuel back to the boat. Then it was time for the showers and to head out for dinner.

We met up with Bob & Angela (Shining Star), Bob & Ann (Jule III), Frank & Joanne (Fantasy Island) and another boat from Europe with a German, a Frenchman and a Dane. I never got the boat name but the conversation was delightful. The restaurant (East Villa Chinese Restaurant on E. Bay Street) opens at 6pm for dinner and we were there at 10 minutes before the hour. We were pretty much the only patrons until the time we were ready to leave. Then there were 3 other tables. The place has very good food & when we’re back in Nassau, I’ll have to return. We got Lemon Chicken with a sweet tangy sauce, Conch Cantonese with a black bean sauce and pork fried rice (it had peas – oops for Wayne). The menu was extensive with a fusion blend of Bahamas meets Chinese.

I could imagine myself in Hong Kong in this well-designed house down the street from the Nassau Yacht Club. It's somewhat upscale with an ambiance about it. It has a bubbling aquarium (that has a lion fish) and a baby grand piano in the bar area. On the way out I had to stop and give the “almost” life-size Pu-tai’s (Laughing Buddah) belly a rub for good luck. I think we were all pleasantly stuffed!

On the walk back to the dock I was chatting with Ann and it sounds like they’re going straight from Nassau tomorrow to Ft. Pierce. The weather that is supposed to be coming in Saturday has been stepped up to Friday so I’m not sure of our schedule. We were planning on the 3 days to get first from Nassau to Frazer Hog Cay, then from Frazer Hog to somewhere on the banks west of Mackie Shoal, and the third day crossing from the banks across the Gulf Stream and to Ft. Pierce/Vero Beach. We may need to re-evaluate once again. Things keep changing…

No comments:

Post a Comment