Friday, January 3, 2014

Virgin Gorda Yacht Harbor Boat Yard


The boatyard and marina were quiet today. After the last few days it seems strange to see the Bath and Turtle vacant. Four tables are taken, two inside by the t.v. and 2 outside at the patio bar/restaurant. The boat work that needs to be finished before going into the water is complete. Bottom paint, varnish for the teak, and sides polished. The dinghy motor has been lowered and dinghy assembled and inflated. It’s holding air (smiling). Zinc is still on the little Coleman motor. After working all day we headed to a picnic table in front of the shopping area and watched the moon and stars. Wayne had his gin & tonic in hand and I had the computer to check email. The moon is a sliver tonight. If it had two stars over it, it’d look like a smiley face. I never get used to seeing it in the sky like a canoe down here… I’m used to seeing the horns point left or right, not up like a smile. Is it smiling at us? Maybe laughing? It’s a pretty sight… 
Kolibrie in the boatyard at Virgin Gorda Yacht Harbor. Azaya to the right of us - probably for the last time. This is pre-bottom painting & work. Dodger & Bimini are up (we needed the shade).
      Yesterday after talking to Megs, then Wayne, and sitting looking at the Windward/Leeward books by Doyle I thought we might be moving further south again. Wayne & I had been talking about which islands to stop at, which to bypass and which ones to definitely see. Tonight while sitting out, he’s talking about going home again. He asked to see if Tom’s hardware had alcohol for the stove. I thought we had decided to wait and see once we were in the water… Cap says no. Going further south to Grenada this year is doable but it’s the next 2 years he’s not sure about. It’s a concern to us both. He’s not sure if he’ll be up to another 2 years getting her back to the states. It does take a lot at times, mentally, physically and emotionally. The joys of discovery are enormous, but the work and energy input can also be enormous.  To say that I wish we could have started earlier in life is a waste because there’s no way we could have. Life doesn’t always work out the way we want. I am grateful for the time we were given though. How could I not be…?
     It’s a long journey home from here. So we have another season yet to complete! I, we’ve had an 11 year love affair with this boat; my home away from home, my Kolibrie. The thought of selling her makes my stomach sick. I can’t picture her not in my life anymore.  The journey home… it starts in the mind first, and then the trip follows.  I won’t think about it yet. The boat might not even start when we put it in the water Monday… who knows…
     Tom says to stop by Red Hook on the way… we can all get teary eyed together. We have unfinished business. I really don’t like goodbyes…   My life feels a bit confusing right now and I know Wayne is feeling the same way, probably more so. I don’t want for us to finish our business with our friends. They are so much like family. This time it would be goodbye… The worse thing about cruising besides storms and dragging in the night? The goodbyes to people you come to know, depend on and love…

No comments:

Post a Comment