Monday, March 12, 2012

Monday, March 12, 2012 Thompson Bay Long Island

We couldn’t seem to pull in Chris Parker at all this morning on 4045, 8104 or 8137 so didn’t get the forecast until I talked to Mary. It sounds like this week and part of next week, we’ll still have 20-25 knot winds from 070 degrees to ENE with squalls expected. I’m really starting to think that unless we get some surprises in the weather that the Virgins are not in our forecast for this year.

On a brighter note – there are definitely worse places to be holed up than here at Salt Pond Long Island! I really do like this place. Thompson Bay is a great anchorage and the people on Long Island are wonderful. There’s a Mutton Festival coming up this weekend that’s similar to our county fairs back home (from what I’m told). It was over near the Long Island Breeze at the government dock last year and everyone was expecting it to be there again this year but it’s been moved to Clarence Town instead. Jackie (at the Long Island) let everyone know on the radio this morning that a school bus would be available to run everyone down to Clarence Town at 10am and then run us all back to the Long Island at 6pm. So it looks like we’ll be able to be here for that (smiling).

News from out and about –
We heard from Aurora in the Virgins. They’re going to put in to the same boatyard as last year and they really like it there. So we might get to see them again if we don’t get to make it this year, then next year! Other news from our boatyard – Klaus & Barb are getting lots done on their boat and they let us know that Stubby (the alligator) is no more :( I guess he was wandering up the boat ramp (spotted someone’s little dog strolling about?) and AJ and Dennis called the authorities to come get him and they shot him and carted him off. The joys life near a swamp. Who belongs and who doesn’t? It’s not for me to say…especially when one or two gators are larger than poor stubby and better connected. Since Stubby probably struggled to find a meal (missing a foot) I guess his struggles are over.

It’s been a while since I made a large breakfast. Since it’s blowing snot out (winds are roaring and it’s raining) I decided to make some fried potatoes with sausage and onions, Canadian bacon and scrambled eggs. Wow! I was amazed at how good it tasted, so I know it’s been a while .

I was feeling ambitious today so tackled the icebox. It’s smelled a bit off so I figured it was time. The freeze/thaw cycles in it tends to produce water that sits in the bottom. When you add the various items that might get dripped into it, etc…, it was about time. After that I chopped up a salad (Mary Clare’s was soooo good) and fried up some sausage (must have been that email from Barb & Klaus) to go with the salad and that’s what was for dinner.

I keep forgetting that we brought some movies with us, so tonight’s movie was “Rumor has it”. It was a cute one.

No comments:

Post a Comment