Saturday, January 29, 2011

Saturday, January 29, 2011 Elizabeth Harbor, Stocking Island Anchorage

I love waking up naturally at the break of dawn. I open one eye and look through the portal to see if it’s lighter than the darkness that surrounds me in the V-Berth. When the gray light through the port alerts me that it’s twilight, my body rhythm seems to kick into gear and my brain alerts me to get up and watch the sunrise. After a quick perusal of the sky to make sure I’m not going to miss the first rays of the sun break the horizon – it’s time to make coffee and wait for that first kiss of the sun. Ah, how delicious!

After sunrise and coffee it was time to make some sweet rolls for breakfast. We had bananas and oranges with the rolls then listened to the Cruiser’s Net on Channel 72 (at 8:00am) then headed across the harbor to Georgetown for some R.O. water. To my delight we ran into Joe and Tammy from Tamarah on the dock. Then we ran into Special Bird in the Exuma Market. We’d met both of them at the marina in Florida. Special Bird was a Tartan with leak problems. Every time the boat went in the water it seemed to leak in a different area. After three times, it seemed all was fixed and he was finally good to go sailing.

I was really hoping to run into Joe & Tammy from Tamarah again. I wanted to share our bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon (Coastline Paso Robles - 2008 from Coastline Cellars Santa Rosa CA) with them. We’d won it together during the grape stomping contest at Thanksgiving and it seemed quite fitting to split it with them. We hadn’t noticed either of them in our anchorage but later in the day saw both of them at monument anchorage.

During our walk in Georgetown with Azaya, we’d gone to the straw market. Mary Clare had spotted some small baskets that she thought would make appropriate gifts for her book reading club. These were similar to some that I’d admired in Charleston but much smaller. The baskets were woven so that they were almost as sturdy as wood even though they were woven out of palm and grasses. Miss Lillian, the maker of the baskets said that they sell for $10 each but said she’d give us a deal – she’d only charge us $8. Mary Clare asked “How much for 10 of them?” Miss Lillian vacillated, then I added “How about for 12 baskets?” After another minute she said “I can let you have them for $6 each”. So I now have two small baskets. One will hold my shells and the other will hold sea beans (if I ever find any). Sea beans are seeds that travel from S. America and Africa found around the islands on the Atlantic side of the islands. There are various types depending on the plants but I’m hoping to find some heart beans and hamburger beans while we’re in the Exuma islands. They’ll make lovely decorations and necklaces.

There was an ARG (Alcoholic Research Group) meeting on Hamburger Beach at sunset so we, Tamarah and Azaya decided to go ashore and do some research with the group. While talking with people, I happened to hear Borrowed Horse. Borrowed Horse was the name of a Crealock 37 that we’d looked at when we were searching for a boat. It was very nice, very clean. I introduced myself and had to ask the owner (Dan and Ann) if his boat was a Crealock 37? He laughed. I guess that he’s had 3 “Borrowed Horses” now and the current one is a trawler. But yes, at one time he owned the boat we were looking at! The name stands out as an original – to be sure. It looks like when we were thinking of purchasing it, that it would have been from the folks that he sold it to. Small world though to say the least. Speaking of a small world, we met Randy from Mutual Fun. I think he knows us through our blog (speaking of which, I’m far behind posting to it). His wife wasn’t there but they’re mutual acquaintances of Mike and Kathy (Sapphire) and also from the White Lake, MI area! This is their first season down here and I didn’t get much of a chance to chat with him, because I discovered Jo from Simpatico was here, but I hope to get to know them better. Jo and Greg were one of the first couples we met at Annapolis our first year out and we hadn’t run into them since that first year. It was so great to chat with her and catch up at the bonfire! I felt a bit guilty because I wanted to chat with her, Randy, Tammy and Dan all at the same time, which of course is impossible! It sounds like Greg and Jo have found their niche here. Greg has found some people to play with (music) and it keeps him happy and Jo likes the social life and activities here too. It’s funny the things you remember about people, what a great time. I’d forgotten all about the Officers Club at the Naval Academy – one of the memories Wayne brought up. Today was just one of those days that just made me feel good all over. The stars look magnificent and all the anchor lights in the harbor just add to the magic of the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment