Monday, January 17, 2011

Normans to Warderick Wells, Exuma Park

Monday, January 17, 2011


Yay! My dough doubled, almost tripled in size during the night. There’s enough to acrually make 3 loaves so I divided it into 3 pans and turned on the radios to listen to Chris Parker and the local weather. After listening to Chris Parker and the Highborne Cay Weather this morning, we pretty much decided that with a strong front coming through today/tonight that if we didn’t get into the North Anchorage, that we’d just tuck in a little closer here. None of the islands here have a decent southwest protection that we can duck into with our drafts and at Norman’s; at least if we drag in the predicted 30-40 knot wind gusts, we’ll just hit sandbars.

At 9am Darcy came on and we could hear her fine. We all got moorings (5, 9, and 16). Then as we were raising anchor we heard Darcy calling us again. Kolibrie, Kolibrie, this is Exuma Park... Oh oh… But she’d just changed us from mooring 5 to 21. Whew! I thought that perhaps we had no mooring! Azaya is having radio problems and never heard Darcy calling any of us, so I relayed their mooring number to them. Half way there, they had the same engine problems that they’d had earlier with the rpm surging. We slowed back to make sure they were okay. They weren’t having to good of a day - mechanical wise.

My bread dough kept rising and overflowing the pans. I guess it likes being home. I did learn that baking bread in a rolly or choppy environment isn’t always a good thing. Because when I took it out to turn it around (my oven heats unevenly), we hit some chop and the two loaves I had in the oven decided to deflate, when my potholder got them. They did rise again but not with that pretty crown. The third loaf seemed to come out just fine though; even with all the waves we were slamming into.

We ran into a brief squall. It teased me into pulling out the shampoo, then after lathering up, it quit! Don’t you hate that when you get soaped up and can’t rinse??? So we needed to use some of our water supply to finish the rinsing process – less than a gallon of water used though and I love having clean hair.

As we approached Warderick Wells, I asked the captain if I could bring her in. Of course. I love this place – it always feels like coming home. I decided that this is my happy place. When you search inside for a happy feeling, this place seems to be that spot inside me. I don’t know why, but it is. Maybe it’s all the various shades of blue here. It’s a pallet of all the peaceful blues and aqua colors that I can think of, and it’s so lovely. I decided that after we were safely tucked at our mooring, that I’d have a beer. There goes dinner… So we had beer and homemade bread with fruit for dinner. I wanted to grill up those steaks, but it’s toooo windy and now I couldn’t cook if I wanted to, so I enjoyed a pretty sunset with building clouds. When I heard a conch horn from the boat next to us, I had to answer with mine. Both people peaked out of the cockpit to see who was answering them. It was just little ole me announcing that I too was enjoying the setting sun. It’s so nice to be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment