Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Work day...

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

What a beautiful day today. Temperatures climbed back to 70 and the sun was out warming everyone’s soul. The Christmas vacationers were out strolling across the bridge and sitting in the park. I imagine the beach is full today, but I’m not going ashore. Today I’m finishing the last 2 splicings for the lazy jacks and I must say, I feel accomplished! I borrowed a needle from Azaya and didn’t break this one (laughing). Now if the lazy jacks just work like they’re supposed to in theory! The E-line that I’m working on is a new addition to our old design (that’s as old as the boat I think). That line will let us retract the lazy jacks out of the way of the sail when we raise our sails. I hope it works!

Wayne worked in the battery compartment and on the Honda generator all day. It appears that our little generator is gunked up. It wouldn’t start for all Wayne’s coaxing and pulling on the cord - but it does has a spark. It looks like the carburetor jets are probably varnished over with old or stale gas (according to everything we’ve read). We’ll have to go to the auto supply and see if some carburetor cleaner will help things along. It appears that these newer models have very tiny jets that get clogged easy and our new gasolines don’t help. They break down a lot sooner to foul things up. I won’t be surprised if Wayne has a sore arm tomorrow!

Spaghetti for dinner then it’s time to hit the showers and check out the weather. Aurora was considering leaving today or perhaps tomorrow. They’re also heading down to the Exumas but continuing on to Guatemala. Harry (Aurora) is the fellow that saved the fellow boater from the water a couple days ago. I think they’re getting antsy sitting here and mentioned perhaps waiting in Miami for a weather window. It might not be a bad idea, but it’s not all that bad right here either – I can think of worse places. Definitely.

No comments:

Post a Comment