Friday, December 17, 2010

Lake Worth Anchorage.

Not as cold today.
I brought my coffee topside and watched a morbid ballet of little silver fish dancing along the top of the water. It was morbid because while it was a beautiful and synchronized display, I knew what was causing them to leap out of the water running across the surface! Literally hundreds of the silvery little fish were dancing across the water next to, around and under the boat as larger predators were hunting the little dancers as their breakfast. It was fascinating and hypnotizing to watch this display and I couldn’t tear my eyes away from the spectacle. I never did see what was hunting them. After things calmed down, I decided it was time for breakfast.
After fried egg sandwiches, I spent the day trying my hand at splicing old double braid rope into eyes with a ring attachment. Without much luck I might add. Our old lazy jack lines are just to brittle or old and rip or just won’t give. It’s almost like the fid is too big for the rope. My hands feel raw trying to maneuver the fid through the core and outer casing!

Talked to Mary Clare (Azaya) today – she’s on the road back to the boat. It was so good to hear her voice! It looks like we’re not ready for crossing tomorrow and they have a bit to do too. So, if they are able to get their stuff done and we don’t have a window to cross for a while then we may be crossing together. I’d really like that (smiling)!
Wayne was going to work on the dinghy today and see if he could get the voltmeter working (battery monitor). Nothing seemed to work to get the readings from the battery to show up on the meter. Dinghy will have to wait for tomorrow.
I found directions to get to the bank from the Tiki Restaurant but the waves are kicking up. It’d be a very wet ride if we took the dink to shore. We were hoping to meet up with Axel & Mary at the Tiki. They were going to drive over in their rented car. Without the dink or the water taxi (they used to have a water taxi here) it looks like we’re staying put and Mary & Axel will get to unload all their provisions and work, work, work instead of joining us  for drinks and a meal. Laughing! The good news is that they’ll have more time to work and get ready to come down to Lake Worth sooner!
Hot beef sandwiches with corn and Aunt Nel’s cabbage for dinner. I’ll try my hand at splicing the double braided rope again tomorrow. What I really need is a long crochet hook!

No comments:

Post a Comment