Thursday, November 18, 2010

Life in the Workyard 1

Didn’t seem as hot today. Found my coffee maker bright and early this morning before daylight so was able to make some coffee instead of running up to Burger King for some. Today was a definite workday. I scraped the bottom paint from the hull and Wayne cleaned the topside. Clouds rolled in, which helped to keep the sun off us, and the temperature just didn’t seem as high today.

I managed to get the hull scraped today and Wayne got the topside clean again. It’s nice to be able to sit in the cockpit again without sitting in the black ash/mold that seemed to permeate that area. I guess they burn sugarcane somewhere around here and the ash drift deposits settle on everything. I’d seen some yesterday wafting on the evening breeze. When I held my hand up to catch some I was amazed how it looked like a blade of black grass that disintegrated into powder as it touched my hand.

Blue Pearl is looking sharp. New lettering, bottom is painted, teak and decks sparkling. They’re waiting for the cutless bearing to be put in and they’re ready to go back into the water. We’re just starting & wish we were at their point :) We’d dropped off our lifelines at Mack Sails yesterday and I guess they need to see our fittings. We’ll go by in the morning with them. I’m just glad that they’re making the ole college try. After being turned down by another rigging place last year (Sorry. They don’t make those anymore) and having them thrown back on the boat while we were gone, then sending them to West Marine (who sends their stuff to the west coast) who also returned them to us (Sorry. They don’t make those anymore) it’s refreshing to see somebody try! I guess if you need lifelines, you should go to a sail maker.
We watched Pam & Glen dance their happy dance as Blue Pearl was lifted and placed in the water. The engine started up and it looks like they’re good to go tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment