Sunday, November 14, 2010

Florida and nostalgia!!!


Termite mound in Africa
Have you ever noticed how some songs inspire you to reach higher in life? Once we got everything back in the car and settled into the driving routine, the song ‘Africa’ by Toto came on. That was one of those songs, for me. It mentally inspired me to reach out and explore the world. I could always visualize the Serengeti and hear the lions calling out to each other in the tall grass. I used to make up my own line “…Kilimanjaro rises like a leopardess above the Serengeti…” those words always inspired me more than “..rises like Olympus above the Serengeti…”  I could picture a large cat sitting there looking out over her domain.  Anyhow “Africa” was one of those songs and I had to start singing along and keeping beat in my seat without dancing out of it. The sun on my face and shoulders, Africa playing, and watching the road scenes along the way – it was a good morning to travel.

We took a slight detour off I-95 over to Fernandina Beach/Tiger Point to see Axel (Azaya), and Beth & Jim (Madcap). Madcap was in the water and looking good!  We got there just in time to say hi, as they were getting ready to anchor out today. After catching up with them for a bit, we went to visit Axel. Azaya is scheduled to go into the water tomorrow so our timing was excellent. We got to see two sets of friends in one day. Mary is still in Alaska but Axel’s friend Tiff is helping Axel out and going to be with him until Vero Beach before he heads back to Alaska. Mary will be here in mid-December. It was terrific to be able to see Madcap and Azaya again.  I feel a little bit behind with the boat after seeing Madcap and Azaya, but that’s okay. We’re a little bit further south already.  I hope we get to catch up with the Pearl when we get to the boatyard.

We stopped in Daytona Beach Florida for the night – right across from the speedway. That has got to be the largest speedway I’ve seen. I’m glad I don’t have to contend with the race weekend traffic that this place must get! MIS get’s packed; I can’t imagine what this place is like!  We’re about 3-3 ½ hours to the boat now… Tomorrow we begin…

No comments:

Post a Comment