Saturday, February 13, 2010

Saturday, February 13, 2010 Xanadu

Wow! What wicked weather last night! The winds really whipped up and had our boat heeling over at the dock. I was wondering what the winds were doing and figured they were in the 40s to 50. I was shocked to learn that we had gusts up to 73!!!  Mary (Blue Pearl) took a picture of the wind speed on their gauge! Those are hurricane force winds. I was glad that we were in this little protected harbor and tied up snug. It’s a good thing to keep abreast of the weather and passageweather.com is one of the best sources of wind and waves around for traveling sailboats!


Jonathon and Maggie (Guinevere) ran Mary (Azaya) and I into town today so we could do a little bit of provisioning. What a neat looking little town. It looks like at one time it started to have a bustling little down town area with an International Bazaar but since tourism is down the Bazaar isn’t what it used to be. We went to Cost Right (which is similar to Costco or Sams) and were able to get some fresh produce and supplies. I don’t think they realize how much I really appreciated the offer to run us into town :0) I hope when they get back from their family visit that we’ll run into each other again in the Exumas.

Wayne & Axel went walking the beach and checking out the wave conditions while we were gone. After we got back Glen came by and we went over the best course for tomorrow, then the guys met over on Azaya to talk charts and places and Pam, Mary and I sat around Kolibrie a bit chatting. Then it was back to work time – laundry, showers, etc… and I had to finish making my bread. Yum!
Wayne, Maggie and I walked out to the beach to check out the waves and they were still up on the horizon. I sure hope they settle down tonight – don’t like seeing those “elephants on the horizon”. I plotted two courses into the chart plotter. One course is a little over 60 miles to Great Harbor an anchorage at Great Stirrup Cay. The other course is a little shorter at 57 miles to Slaughter Harbor at Little Stirrup Cay. Tomorrow is Valentines day and The Chinese New Year :) Welcome in the year of the Tiger! We're celebrating by hopefully moving on across the Northwest Providence Channel from Xanadu to Great Stirrup Cay - hoping the seas laid down from those wicked winds last night!



No comments:

Post a Comment