Monday, February 13, 2012

Monday, February 13, 2012 Lucaya

Strange blur of a day. I made some coffee then jumped ship to take some pictures of the place. I noticed a new totem pole with carvings of dolphins, fish and star fish carved into the trunk of a palm tree and was kind of surprised because I’d just never thought you could carve a totem from a palm. Now I know!

After that I did some laundry while Wayne marked off our chain with new ties (our old marks are gone) so we could see how much chain is being let out when we anchor. We filled our water tanks and the guys had gone over to the gas station to see if there was any diesel (there wasn’t). It was warm enough outside where you don’t need a jacket but cool enough so you can do anything without breaking a sweat. Between the temperature and the cool breeze it was just delightful weather! It reminded me of an early summer day. After chores we went over charts at the pool bar. I didn’t realize that the marina has been under receivership and has been for the last couple of years. I hope they make it – it’s a nice place.
Bougenvilla (spelling?) along my walk. 
Morning shot along the dock

The Pool bar is under new management so no more 2 for 1 drinks with conch fritter appetizers like last year with Azaya and Aurora. We had Kaliks at $4 a bottle (a bit steep) and dinner. Cracked conch with mac/cheese and salad for me; heart attack burger for Wayne, and Axel and Mary had Fish burger and conch chowder. Jim and Carol (Wind Quest) joined us over drinks – they’re heading to the Exumas too. Good thing the beers are so expensive. Not that I can handle more than one, but getting on and off the boat here at low tide is a challenge without the beers! The Cement dock is wayyyy up in the air and the boat is wayyyy below me. I don’t know how Wayne gets up and down at low tide but I use the dock lines to give myself a boost up (shhhhh don’t tell Wayne).

Tomorrow we’re heading for Great Harbor at Great Stirrup/Goat Cay. It’s just shy of 60 miles from dock to anchorage so it’ll be a long day. Jim & Carol are leaving at 4:30am in the morning and we’re going to let go of the dock lines at 6am so we can try to get in before dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment