Saturday, January 21, 2012

Saturday, January 21, 2012 An alligator named Stubby

Well after cutting off the part of the line that I thought I’d done wrong yesterday afternoon

I discovered that I’d actually done it right – oops! So we’re a foot shorter than when we started. I couldn’t believe that I’d done all those splices last year for the lazy jacks. Now after a full day of reading, I truly can’t remember the procedure (except for the basics). I kept re-reading the directions that came with the Fid, but they made no sense to me. After scratching my head a few times and running through the process in my head, I finally got the cajones to plunge in and just do it. I finished splicing the new halyard for the main, and it looks pretty good, but I sure needed the set of directions that I used last year!


I was working in the boat when Wayne called me up top. While he was working on the Windlass (he took it apart and rewired it – the wires were reversed so up was down & down was up) he spotted an alligator. The first one I’ve seen this year! Needless to say I raced up top with my camera. I was hoping it was Elvis. It wasn’t. It was a nice healthy looking one, but only ½ to ¾ the size of Elvis. Someone said that they had a big un removed last year. It was probably Elvis then. He was a monster. This one was a new one to me. The only other one I remember is Half-tail and everyone has seen him (but me). This little guy (okay not so little – one guy said it’s the biggest one he saw) came swimming right into the marina like he owned the place, so I’m wondering if it’s one of the babies I heard chirping last year… Saw him later on the shore and one of the other boaters brought it to my attention that one of its feet were missing. Soooo this one is now named Stubby…
Helped a trawler tie up to the wall. Nice one. Loved the people’s names – Jack and Diane. I ran Diane up to the Publix to get some taco fixings, and I needed to pick up something for the pot-luck tonight too. It was interesting chatting with them over dinner. They were in their 70s and had a sailboat before going to the trawler. They’re heading across the Okeechobee tomorrow for the other side. Very nice couple : ) Moose had sausage, hot dogs, burgers and pork on the menu tonight and the pork was killer – he used Butt Rub and Everglades seasoning on it. Sounds weird I know, but the seasoning IS called Butt Rub….and it’s a wonderful thing…

No comments:

Post a Comment