Friday, January 13, 2012

Friday, January 13, 2012 oh oh.... and oh yes: Life in Da Boat Yard...


Oh ohhhh Friday the 13th Muah ha ha ha….
Glad I’m not superstitious…

Made breakfast today – felt like eggs and potatoes with English muffins soooo that was what was for breakfast (with oranges). I figure I’d better use the toaster while I can :0) and since it was a nippy night, a warm breakfast sounded like just the thing. I hooked up the heater and proceeded to cook.

Okay, so running the coffee pot, heater, toaster and hot water tank to wash dishes might not have been a very good idea. Especially since every other boat on our electrical pole was doing the same thing. Suddenly, I was met with dead silence. The toaster stopped, the heater stopped and the coffee pot light went out. Wayne said, “Gee, ya think that the hot water tank to wash dishs was maybe too much???” Ha ha ha… Well during the middle of frying potatoes, scrambling eggs, and making breakfast, I decided that the power could wait until AFTER I was done on the little alcohol stove. Who knows, maybe someone else in the boatyard besides myself knows how to reset the circuit breaker. So we had half toasted English muffins with pretty good eggs and potatoes. I thought about getting half toasted too (kidding).

Well after breakfast we were still without power.
Guess nobody else knows how to reset the circuit breaker.
Fun.
Went down to reset it, and it wouldn’t reset… hmmmm…
Unplugged the power cord from the post and tried a different socket.
Back up the ladder. Still nothing.
Back down the ladder and over to the circuit box. There was another circuit off, turned that one on.
Still no luck.
Klaus and Barb were up and they had no power either.
Okay, it’s not just us then.
After getting a hold of Steve (he’s the one that showed me what to do), I learned that if one thing doesn’t work, there are a series of things to do... in order… it's a process....
so after doing them with Klaus observing, we then got power back. Gotta love cold nights when everyone is using power. Couldn’t have been my cooking. Nope. Not that. But now Klaus also knows the process so I won't be the only one tippy toe-ing down the ladder in the cold...

Hmmm Marine Max never called yesterday. Wayne gave them a call and Paul never remembered saying that he’d call back in ½ hour. Hope this isn’t a sign of things to come again…
Anyhow, he said they had to order some parts. It looked like it might have something to do with the diaphragm to the fuel pump the way it keeps flooding and shutting off.
They wouldn’t be able to get to the motor until the middle of the week, since the parts wouldn’t arrive until the beginning of the week, next week.
Soooo we wait again. Hopefully the time waited will result in something good this time – like with a working outboard motor.

We got the dinghy put together and discovered we’re missing one of the caps/air valves… That won’t work… We searched the boat and the field where the boat was stored and nothing. I did some searching online and West Marine has one in stock so they’re going to hold it for me near the checkout counter. Yay!

Wayne spent the rest of the day working on trying to take the windlass apart. We really need it with an all chain ground tackle. It’s no fun hauling up all that chain by hand. I spent the day putting stuff away and sorting through some of the stuff I brought. I decided I brought way to many clothes and was trying to figure out what to bring and what to leave.

By the end of the day, I had stuff stashed, nuts for the trip vacuum sealed, and Wayne had 2 of the 3 nuts removed from the bolts that hold the windlass to our deck. The last one was going to fight him all the way since the nut is right next to the fiberglass and he can’t get a grip on it to loosen it. It’s right next to the fiberglass wall so no grip room. It was basically a ¼ turn with the open end wrench per hour, while hanging upside down in the anchor locker... He really enjoyed that - working upside down in the chain locker all day. I could tell… Gin and Tonics anyone? His color is coming back now that he’s upright again.

I guess you call Friday the 13th a “nutty” kind of day aboard Kolibrie.
Nuts anyone?
We have stainless steel nuts, cashews, pistachios and peanut bars…
Good news?
Since we’re not in the water yet… we haven’t lost any of them overboar and in the water he he he…

No comments:

Post a Comment