Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Tuesday, March 2, 2010 Warderick Wells


Warderick Wells, Exuma Park North Anchorage
24*23.814 076*37.943

I’m sitting on the porch of the park headquarters, with Mary, Axel and Wayne; contemplating the events that are unfolding back at home. It’s been a strange winter. I watch a large ray leap out of the water to soar upward and then back into the water. I’ve never seen such a thing before. What a majestic creature. The only time I’ve ever seen these large sea creatures is floating gently along the sea bottom. This one is about seven foot long. At first I think it might be a small whale as it breaks the surface of the water, soaring up into the air. It’s white underside visible to me, then its long, rapier tail. As it starts its descent back toward the water, I can see it’s dark angular back – the part I normally see patrolling the seabed. Then all that’s visible is the ripples of the strong tidal current, and it’s gone. It was as if it had never happened. Only my loud “Oh my God” as Mary, Axel and Wayne look in the direction that my finger points to. A fraction of a minute caught in my mind, but lost from their sight. One I can still visualize and recall with certain clarity.

Some of the instances I go through, I wish I could hold for a few moments longer. I know that I can’t. But moments like this, especially when you’re with others, you just want to share… then it’s gone and you can’t. It’s only a moment. Your moment. The ray’s moment. I wonder what he was hunting below the surface of the water? Or, what was hunting the ray? Did he catch his prey? Did he escape?






Moments in time,
etched in my mind,
lost to the cameras eye.
A moment sublime,
a gasp and a sigh,
then quickly it’s gone,
a goodbye.

 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment