Monday, March 22, 2010

Thursday, March 18, 2010 Allens Cay


Allens Cay N24 44.952/W076 50.261
At 6:15am with the help of the rising tide, waves and engine, I was able to motor and twist the boat to back off of the sandbar. Coffee time.

At 10:30am after swinging and bumping into the sandbar again in the shifting wind and currents we decided it was time to re-anchor. (24 44.919 076 50.285). It would appear that the sandbar has shifted further south than it was last year (according to my chart plotter waypoint).

It was still a choppy day in the anchorage so we stayed aboard watching boats swing and shift. Wayne couldn’t see putting the dinghy in the water to work on it in this chop. I don’t blame him. It’s all I can do to keep my footing below deck.

I made bacon, egg and cheese sandwiches for breakfast, then read some. Wayne read and did a few Sudukos. Then I decided that I needed chocolate. Baking time… Brownie making time, with walnuts! mmmhmmm… The idiosyncrasies of my oven - Half the pan came out terrific, the other half, the brownies were welded to the pan. The flame is definitely hotter on one side than the other. Next time I need to turn the pan around half way trough the cooking process… No matter, chocolate is chocolate and after jackhammering the overdone side of the brownies out of the pan – they were all mine!

We had leftovers for dinner (with of course brownies for dessert). Now some reading before bed.

11:45pm. I’m up trying to figure out what the heck happened. I was woken out of a deep slumber by a loud twanging bang. I thought we’d collided with the other British boat that anchored to close to us this evening and ran up top. When I got up top they looked a bit ahead of us and to the side. I checked out the chart plotter, depth sounder and did a quick survey of our surroundings and the other boats. We didn’t run aground into the rocks. There were no other boats that were close to us, save the other Brits that had come in earlier. We figured out that their boat crossed over our anchor chain that was tugging taunt. After looking at the chart plotter and seeing a pronounced 90-degree L shape pattern of our movement it made sense. Especially after the boy came topside to checkout their anchor chain and look around. We hung around up top to make sure they hadn’t jerked out anchor loose and we appear to be okay. Time to go back to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment