Saturday, December 26, 2009

Friday, December 25, 2009 Christmas on the boat; St Augustine Fl



What a beautiful sunrise this morning. It just seemed so spectacular in shades of gold, orange, pink, and turquoise. The air was still and warm on my skin with the sound of seabirds calling to each other and beginning their daily flights. The osprey on the mast of the boat next to us gave a shrill call and launched into the air in search of breakfast.


I thoroughly enjoyed sipping my coffee and snapping pictures of the sunrise. What an awesome present to greet me on Christmas day.


A little seabird decided to join me for breakfast. At first it landed on the dinghy, then on the Taft rail of the boat. She kept her eye on me and I on her. She kept coming closer and I remembered that I had a little bag of birdseed below from the wedding. I went to fetch it thinking the little bird would be scared off. But when I returned, it was still there, sitting on the teak. Watching me. I put seed into my hand and held it out to the little bird. She danced around, trying to figure out if it was safe to approach or not then decided it was. She grabbed a seed and disappeared. Then came back. The same little dance but not as long, and she snatched another seed. We kept this up for a while until she’d lost all fear of me and had a full belly. Or so I thought. Then she returned with another bird (this one male I think – darker coloration). So my little Christmas visitor enjoyed her present of wedding seeds and in return left it’s little gifts all over the boat.


We ate chocolate covered cherries that we’d bought for our moms and thought about Christmas’ past with loved ones. I spent most of the day downloading my pictures and sorting them. Then catching up on posting to my blog. We had a rainy, drizzly day so we tried to catch some rainwater into our holding tank too. I’m not sure if we got any into the tank or not but we gave it the ole college try.

It was wonderful to hear family voices and catch up briefly on the phone. I actually hadn’t thought anyone was reading my blog until talking to Joey & Di and Pat. Sorry for the scare Wendell. But in another vein, it was nice to know that you were concerned. I love you bro. It was a long time between posts. I’ll try not to do that again. I sometimes think nobody reads my musings. I hope we get to catch up with you on New Years Day – I miss you.


I put a pork roast on for dinner with mashed potatoes, corn and applesauce. We had an apple pie for dessert (no I didn’t bake this one). The roast turned out wonderful!

Tomorrow we head back out on our trek southward. St. Augustine is starting to feel like home. I love the old town. The atmosphere, the vibrancy that remains in the old buildings draped in moss, made of stone… the buildings hum with a life all their own.


No comments:

Post a Comment