Saturday, March 10, 2012

Saturday, March 10, 2012 Jackie's Birthday! :)


Flowers for Jackie
Happy Birthday Jackie! I hope you have a wonderful day of sunshine and smiles to make it a special day for you . Funny thing this thing called life. The older your kids get, the older you get. But the mind refuses to believe what the body tells it is true…until the body smacks you during a thought process and says “feel that???” “Now stop it, ya ain’t 20 anymore!” Each year it seems the thought process isn’t as sharp, the muscles just not as strong, and the body definitely not as limber as it once was.

We listened to the weather (Chris Parker) over coffee this morning and while monitoring the radio, heard Jackie at the Long Island Breeze come on and let people know that she now has enough water so that if 6 boats would like to do 2 loads each, that that would be doable. Boats started calling in to get their names on the list but we were interested in showers. Sigh…

Mary & Axel came by in the kayak to say hello. They were headed to the beach to work on the dinghy and I think Mary said yesterday that they were going to do a beach walk. Wayne & I were talking about what to do today. He’s looking for places in Puerto Rico and the Virgins where we can haul out for the hurricane season and if we’re going to do an Internet search we need to scoot over to the Island Breeze (they have pretty reliable internet) today. They’re closed on Sundays and Mondays. We also need to grab some more diesel fuel if we’re over there. While we were talking things over, Jackie got on the radio again to let everyone know that a couple hadn’t shown up so there were a couple spots still open. One boat hailed her back and when a few beats of the heart lapsed without anyone else jumping in, I radioed back asking “what about a couple of showers?” She said if you’re frugal, okay. Its little things like a hot shower that makes our day! We gave her our name and said we’d be right there. We scurried around the boat to collect our computers (Wayne’s for searching places, mine to upload pictures to the blog), shower stuff, jerry cans, money and throw on some clothes, then raced over to the Breeze (at turtle speed – still breaking in the little motor). The waves weren’t bad in here at all today – deceptively calmer than what is on the other side of the island! We piled out of the dink, and into the Breeze to get our showers. Ahhhhhh so nice to have clean hair again! Then I claimed a table near an outlet and chatted with Bruce from Zingara while Wayne went to the gas station to fill our jerry cans. There were a couple of long tables set up in the main dining area – a Church Womens group are meeting here at 2pm. So Jackie told everyone that if they wanted lunch they needed to order pretty quickly. I grabbed a menu and spotted a couple eating pizza. I had to investigate.

Best Pizza (bar none) in the Bahamas - at the Long Island Breeze

While Jackie went to help out some other folks that were checking into the Breeze I mozied over to a table that had the most awesome looking pizza I’d seen in a long time. Unfortunately, Jackie told me that they’d only made pizza dough for 6 pizzas and they were all sold. Arghhhh… the next pizza came out of the kitchen… mmmm it looked as good at the other one…are you sure Jackie??? I must have been drooling something furious each time she came by because while I stood perusing the menu and eyeing the pizza she said okay, okay, okay…let me see if he possibly has another one. Let me see what I can do… She came back out and said okay. But this is it! NO MORE PIZZA FOLKS! So for $23 I got the most awesome large thick crusty supreme pizza and a ginger beer. Needless to say everyone coming in wanted pizza. I was seated by the door and between ours and the other 2 pizzas; you almost had to order a pizza. I tried to hail Azaya on the radio to come share the pizza with us but got no response. So their radio was either off while working on the kayak or they were out of our hand held range. With all the requests for pizza, Jackie said she’d take pre-orders for Tuesday if people wanted them (Sunday and Monday they’re closed). Wish we could get ahold of Azaya but I guess they don’t have their ears on.
 We worked on the computers, ate pizza and chatted with Bruce while others were watching the basketball games on the TV and the Ladies Axillary Club had their luncheon at the tables behind ours.

Bruce - Zingara

I’d gotten quite involved in the computer then when I’d gone to the store and returned (I’d already packed my computer) Bruce (Zingara) was showing Wayne some grib files… Needless to say, my computer was turned back on – I’d thought I’d had this program already. Yep… But Bruce was showing me various things on it and we got to chatting again. There was a gathering on the beach at 4pm that I’d planned on going to, but when I looked at my watch it was 5pm already. We made it back to the boat just before sunset. So much for the beach party. I had 2 pieces of pizza I could take, but yikes, that wouldn’t go far as far as sharing… We decided it was too late to crash the party and stayed aboard. A bit after dark, someone’s dinghy disappeared from the beach (gotta love those escaping dinghies that go off exploring). A call went out, and it was found. What a scary feeling. That’s pretty much tantamount to losing your car on land. In the water it’s worse… So glad it was found and didn’t escape out to the larger waters!

We laid up top looking at the stars and Jupiter and Venus as they come closer together. To bad we don’t have extenders for our seats – there are nights I could just sleep up here gazing at the stars. The winds feel warm tonight, even though they’re still blowing from the E-NE…Delicious




No comments:

Post a Comment