Saturday, March 3, 2012

Saturday, March 03, 2012 Elizabeth Harbor

Elizabeth Harbor, Stocking Island AKA Georgetown, Great Exuma

I’d forgotten what a “ToDo” it is here. After trying to listen to Chris Parker’s weather forecast on 4045 at 6:30am (it was really full of static), Georgetown has their own radio programing on Channel 72 at 8am. People hail each other on 68 instead of 16, then switch at 8am for the updates in the harbor - Any new boats? Departing Boats? Local businesses? news? Then Boaters General; Weather; Regatta news; and a host of people looking for things, or selling things (Mary sold her Bahamas phone). The “Around the Island Regatta” starts at 10:00am and I believe there were 27 boats that signed up for it. We’ll be crossing paths as they come by us in the anchorage and we head out for fuel and water.

The winds started picking up last night so we had a wet dinghy ride for diesel and water. Mary & Axel offered to help us – 2 dinghies hold more than 1 and ours is not the biggest nor the fastest but it gets us there. We cut through the race path with no problem. A few boats had already come through the start line, but Azaya has a speedy dink! I honestly can’t remember one time when I made it to Georgetown and back and stayed dry (laughing). Wayne loaded our 2 jerry cans and 4 water jugs in our dink. By the time those get filled there’s no room for anything else. I brought our 6 gallon water can and garbage in Azaya’s dink and we borrowed a jerry can from them too, so we have roughly 15 gallons of fuel and 26-28 gallons of water. I’d forgotten how heavy those 6 gallons of water can be! Loading the diesel and water into the dink from the gas station and water spout, I could feel my hip and back compressing – oh oh…

It was a nice morning in Georgetown, most of the yachts were involved with the race so it wasn’t congested in town. I was able to get some cash from the ATM, Axel found his needed stuff at the hardware and Minn’s watersports, I got bread and a pepper and some oranges and went in on some tomatoes with Mary, and they were able to download email on their IPhones. 

We got back to see the finish of the 32nd Georgetown Regatta. It was pretty cool to see a monohull come in 1st with 4 catamarans coming in 2nd to 5th place. Major event of the regatta… 249 was the official count of boats in the harbor. Nocturne and Glory Days 1st & 2nd place…

I made some peppersteak and rice for dinner and we sat up top enjoying the breeze and eating dinner. You can normally hear sunset here in Elizabeth harbor, but I think most people were at St Francis for the awards and dinner ceremony. I did my part with the conch horn though!

No comments:

Post a Comment