Saturday, February 26, 2011

Saturday, February 26, 2011 Warderick Wells

Wow it was a warm day out today. We started out in the 80s and got into the 90s. I missed the weather this morning, both Chris Parker and Blue Yonder’s forecasts. I’m not sure why, but it seemed like a day of miscues all around. Then we missed the Park announcements at 9am of who’s leaving and who’s coming. Not a big thing though since we’re not going anywhere today.

I made some bacon and coconut bread French toast with oranges for breakfast. Then Mary & Axel came by and we went over charts and which paths seemed more viable to get to Spanish Wells from Warderick Wells. It seems that neither they nor I want to go through the “Middle Ground” coral and rock area with their boat problems so I spent the rest of the afternoon putting our course for Rock Sound then on to Current Cut into the chart plotter. I had a problem finding tide charts for Current Cut. I did see where the currents there can run from 10-15 knots at times when they’re at full power and considering that our top speed is 7 and mayyyyyybe 8 knots, that doesn’t look good. Especially after Cave Cut and only running through there at 1.5 knots at 3000 rpms! I need to find some tidal data for that area – to be sure.

The traditional Saturday pot luck on the beach had a great turn out. We met Moondance. They were one of the boats anchored with us at Musha Cay and I remembered her (Harriet) dancing up on deck with her mop in the morning and her dog after the “Music Madness Night”. Then we all moved on to Black Point at the same time. Her husband (Skip) was playing guitar at the party and I learned a new tune called “The Granny Song” that had me in stitches! They, Sangaris (a 42 ft catamaran) and Aquilea a blue Bristol, Azaya and us loved the bonfire. The smoke helped keep the no-see-ums off of us and I also got to meet the Bayfield 29 on the other side of the sandbar. I think they’re on mooring 20 or 21. I just wish I’d have gotten the name of their boat! I love keeping track of all the Bayfields we meet. They had a little travel guitar that was so cute and he was playing with Skip for a while.

I got to chat with 3 of the marines that are here. Officer Ferguson was quite outgoing and it was nice to chat with him and hear his perspective of cruisers, locals, pirates and poachers. He says all of us cruisers are quite safe here, they’re on the job to protect us and the park against all manner of threats and they protect the wildlife from poachers – be it hootia, iguanas, turtles, conch or fish. I’m glad to see them here. I guess they work a month then go home a month (in his case, Nassau is home). They watch for drug runners and protect the boundaries of the park from poachers and keep people secure. The guys were trying to figure out what I was. Hawaiian? Cherokee? I finally told them, nope – Detroitan. They liked that and said “Oh 8 Mile”. That surprised me and I told them yep – I actually lived off 7 mile there for a short period during my young life. The one marine cocked his NY hat and said so if we tell them we know Pat, we’re all cool aye? I said “yuuuup” it’s all dat! And we all laughed and chatted a bit more. They were a nice bunch of guys. I gave Ferguson one of our boat cards so if he ever gets to the states, maybe we can treat him to dinner or something. I hope he doesn’t think this granny was making a pass at him because later I got a wink from him LOL.

A couple of the hootias came out periodically to investigate if anyone had any goodies to give them. They’re nocturnal creatures and kind of cute. After checking the table I spotted a little carrot and on accidentally dropping it next to the bushes, cough, cough, one came and got it and ran off with it like it was his most prized possession. That seemed like a good note to end the night on. So we came back to the boat for some shuteye. Tomorrow we head for Eleuthera. The plan is for Rock Sound.

No comments:

Post a Comment