Wednesday, February 2, 2011

My little ground hog's Birthday :) Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Tanner’s Birthday today – Happy Birthday Tanner AND Happy Ground Hog day to everyone else

I went into Georgetown with Mary Clare and Colleen this morning. We visited the straw market, gift shops and the government dock. I took pictures of the boat that the 70 Haitians came over to the Bahamas on. My goodness… The desperation they must have felt to begin the trip on such a boat. I can’t imagine fitting 15 people in that boat let alone 70 people. From what I understand, they were just piled up on each other. My heart goes out to them. From what I understand, the Bahamian Government is just going to send them all back after processing them. I don’t know where they’d even house 70 Haitians here to process them… Wow… We never did see the people, just the boat that they came over on. I hope that the Bahamians let them stay or that they at least see if they can find somewhere else that they can go…

After wandering around, we had lunch at Pets Place and ran into Sea Sharp (haven’t seen them since Charleston last year), Lydia (Flying Pig) and met the folks from s/v Rhapsody (they’re going over to Cat Island from here). This is a small little place that a lot of people love to come to for the food and the internet. While ordering our food at the counter we saw one young man that was thoroughly enamored with the waitress. He told us “I’m going to marry her”. He was totally captivated by her the entire time we were there (which was lengthy). His eyes never left her and he had such a goofy look on his face. It was cute.

While it took a while to get the food, it really was worth the wait. It was quite tasty. I got their club sandwich, Colleen got a shrimp wrap and Mary got a tomato/cuke salad. I think we were all wishing that we’d brought our computers for the internet, but on the other hand it really was entertaining to watch the love sick young man making moon eyes at the waitress and her ignoring him yet smiling.

We picked up some seafood at the Beauty Salon. Yep, the Beauty salon… Lobster tail 2/$10; Conch $3. Some of the locals, bring their fresh seafood catch there so I guess the ladies can kill 2 birds with one stone. Get your hair done and purchase fish for dinner too. Exuma Market was well stocked today since the Mail Boat had arrived yesterday. The Mail Boat tends to bring most things that the island needs so when it comes in, everyone is scurrying to unload mail, food items, mechanical items, and just about anything you can think of that comes to the island.
I made fish cakes, salad, and pineapple pudding for dinner. It was nice to have the gang over here for sun downers and dinner tonight. It’s just so dang easy to have it on their boat because it’s bigger but we all managed to fit below at the table. The fish cakes turned out great and I don’t think anyone minded being my guinea pig for a new recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment