Saturday, January 8, 2011

From Lucaya, Grand Bahama Island (26 31.084 x 78 38.189) 7:00am To Mores Island (26 16.453 77 36.725) 5:00pm

We released our dock lines at 7:00am to Mores Cay. Waves were 12-15 feet and we had white caps and spray for most of the day. We raised the mainsail before realizing how strong the waves and winds were and we had a dickens of a time getting it back down, and putting the Yankee up for stability. At 9:00am our Chart Plotter decided to shut itself off and Wayne was getting nauseated. One of our jerry cans of diesel decided to go for a dip over the side Wayne retrieved it.

It wasn’t a bad morning, but it wasn’t a pleasant morning either. The wind and waves started to subside a bit more in the afternoon but by then, the damage was already done for Wayne. It was boisterous enough that we didn’t use Otto (our autohelm) so it was a long day at the helm. Especially after having eaten all that coconut pastry yesterday. My system was revolting and I had to visit the head several times. What a fine pair we were today!

At one time, I did manage to find our handheld GPS below on one of my forays into the cabin. One of the waves pitched me across the cabin table & while I was laying on the table, looking down, I saw that my aloe plant was on the floor under the table and all the dirt was on the seat. I’d forgotten to secure a few things. My pans had evidently joined the Aloe beneath the table and I had to wonder how they got there until it occurred to me that the oven door had opened and somehow closed itself again. I’d forgotten to latch it. Another time when I heard a crash – my computer had gone flying off the nav-station. Yikes. That amazed me, because I thought it was secure! It appears to be okay. Whew! Boisterous times aboard the good ship Kolibrie! As usual, she weathered the winds and waves better than the crew and whenever we get pitched around, I learn what else needs to be secured in the future!
We finally pulled in behind a reef and anchored between it and Mores at close to sunset. 58 miles is a long day but we made good time with the winds. A few times we managed to go over 8 knots – excellent for us and there were quite a few times we’d gone over 7 with the winds on our quarter. I’m just snacking for dinner – no sense in making anything with Wayne ' s stomach upset and I’m just plain tired. Not one of our better days, but at least the chop in here is less than the waves on the other side of the reefs. The good news is that we’ll be generating power all night with these winds! The other good news is that the winds and waves should be favorable tomorrow for a 70 NM trip to Royal Island.

No comments:

Post a Comment