Thursday, December 23, 2010

mass transit and deals

The weather forecast still has a small craft advisory for us but it looks like it’s a beautiful day. After putzing about the boat, we caught the bus with Azaya into town and went to Sailorman and West Marine. It was nice of one man to tell us where we wanted to get off the bus. He was an interesting fella that seemed tuned in to every conversation on the bus. Mary got the idea that he had the bus route down pat – each stop. He reminded us of the movie “Rainman” where the autistic gentleman could do anything with numbers. It was fascinating to watch this man process all the conversations around him and keep track of us and where we were along the route too. Right before our stop, he pulled the cord and told us the next stop was our stop and where to go once we got off the bus. I’d love to have had more conversations with him.

Deals were to be found at both Sailorman and West Marine. Mary Clare managed to get 4 large fender covers at Sailor Man for $40 (they wanted $50) which was a deal – thick terry type material – for $10 each . We got a spring line, blocks and lead sinkers that were much cheaper than at West Marine. After refueling our bodies with a pulled pork sandwich, we walked over to West Marine and the deal of the day there were 2 cruising guides to the southern Bahamas. We saw them sitting out and one had loose pages from the back index that had fallen out, the other was a 2009 edition. The one with loose pages said “revised” and was a 2010 edition. After talking to Sam (who turned out to be the manager) Mary got the revised edition for $20 and I got the 2009 edition for $10! Wow! Sam said Merry Christmas ladies! I guess so! The girl at the checkout couldn’t believe I was getting a $60 book for $10 and after looking at the note Sam wrote for us to take to the check out, started leafing through the book to see why he would do such a thing. I, simply, loved it! I also picked up a waterproof bag for my camera and phone. Mary Clare pointed out the ones she uses, so after getting my camera soaked while kayaking this summer with the grandsons, I was all to happy to see these bags. Baggies just don’t cut it for me after the kayaking trip

Back at the marina we stopped by Arturus, the kids boat – and told them we were here for dinner! Jimmy held up a bag of Doritos and said “this is dinner” . We actually wanted to see if they’d like to join the 4 of us for Christmas dinner (hated to think of them by themselves, away from their folks in a strange town). Dennis is heading home and returning after Christmas, and Ryan, Jimmy and Julie are renting a car and heading for the Keys, so it sounds like they’re all set.

I can’t believe how sore my legs are. Not used to walking so much! All day walking about after sitting on the boat is probably just what the doctor ordered! So why does it hurt so much? My hands are sore from splicing, now my legs and hips from all the walking. Hopefully I’m getting toned up – hate to think it’s old age creeping up on me LOL

I made some chicken salad for dinner and had a nice cold Yuengling to go with it and wash it down! Mmmmmmmm…..

No comments:

Post a Comment