Tuesday, November 9, 2010

On the road again!!! Southbound to other adventures...


After a stretch of cold weather (highs in the 30s; lows in the 20s) it warmed up into the upper 60s yesterday and lower 70s today. It was a perfect day to join the flocks of geese that have been congregating on the lake and resting for their trek south. All week I’ve watched them as they fly overhead and at sunset land in the middle of the lake. Their gentle calling to each other as they seek refuge at twilight reminds me that the days are getting shorter and our time here... shorter still. So today after loading up the car and deciding that we’d done all the last minute stuff, we headed south under sunny skies with puffy, fair weather clouds.
Geese close up of them in formation
For the most part, it was a good summer that melted into a beautiful fall - full of color. I am left disheartened with our legal system though. The rose colored glasses are definitely off. I see that many can use the legal system for their own gain while raking others through the coals (at whim). 
Anyhow…. 
 
We finished the drywall and painting, retiled the broken tiles in the kitchen and got our carpet. I got to see most of the people that I wanted to see and enjoyed the time I got to spend with them. I adored going caving with Erma and the grandsons and got to feel like grandma! 
We went kayaking in a river with very little water or current and after 7 miles of it we were tuckered. I was proud that the boys finished it without much stress but I don’t think it left a good taste in their mouth for kayaking. 
Hmmm maybe a kayak at the lake… annnnd This Halloween I got to be a witch with them and scare the neighbors. Who says Halloween is just for kids? 
Me (ahhh hahahahaaaaa) Sam, Tan & Jess
Ah blowing the conch horn and listening to the ocean... 
Granddaughter Sophia liked listening to the ocean in one of the conch horns I made and, it was great to see grandson Zach pick up the conch horn and blow it with gusto. I’m embarrassed to say it took me quite a while to do what he did on his first try! I was awestruck to see him pick it up and blow into it like he’s been doing it forever. I think he’s older than 5!!! Greg says he can play the didgeridoo too! I can believe it  

I loved the lunches and time with relatives and friends. My trip to Shipshewana with the girls is always special for me and I look forward to it every year. Sharing my sister’s birthday with her before heading south was such a bonus! We’d normally have left earlier, but since the boat is in Florida this year, we had the luxury of staying a little later, so it was a double bonus to have the boat in Florida.

We’re at a Hampton Inn in Athen’s Ohio after the drive to Brinkman’s to pick up some canned goods. Tomorrow we’ll stop somewhere around Hickory North Carolina to look at some furniture in the outlet stores.  I don’t think I’ve ever stayed at a Hampton before and all I can say is Wow! Nice place. Not a place we’d normally stop at, but it looked like the only game in town right now. To bad I’m toooo tired to take full advantage of the place.

No comments:

Post a Comment