Saturday, February 27, 2010

Thursday, February 25, 2010 Emerald Rock Warderick Wells Exumas

Holy Cow Batman!
Last night was exiting. Now we know what a scrambled egg feels like or what it’s like to be in a washing machine! Some times on spin cycle. We started with high winds (consistently in the mid-twenties with gusts up to 37) that switched to the west (our unprotected side). So we were hobby horsing for a good part of the evening. At around 11pm I noticed it started raining. At midnight I decided to go up and catch a fresh water shower. The winds had died down enough for me to go up to the bow so I hopped out of the berth, grabbed the shampoo and went and sat in the rain enjoying the soap and rain. When I got back into the cockpit the rain really started picking up and the winds started to pick up again. I thought “Oh! Rainwater for Tea!” and went and got my bucket to set it out. Coming back out into the cockpit – I lost my footing and went down hard enough for Wayne to hear me and check if I was all right. Bruised butt and elbow, but I was fine.  Thinking back on it I should never have gone to the bow. With soap all over me and in my eyes it could have been a very dangerous situation. Hindsight and all – but I really loved the shower and clean hair. Would I do it again? No… It was a pretty stupid thing to do with all the weather in the area. Right after that we started rocking. I’d gone back to bed and the motion of the waves kept trying to pitch me back out of the berth. I could hear things banging in the boat, then a loud bang and sploosh… There went my bucket that I was using to catch rainwater in. I didn’t bother to get up because I knew there was no water left in the bucket. All the other sounds could wait until morning when I could see again.

     We lay there in the berth until it got light out. Braced and flat on our backs. It was the safest place. We couldn’t be jostled off our feet because we were already off our feet. Wayne’s stomach wasn’t feeling to good most of the day. But I don’t wonder with all the strange motions the boats been going through. I made enough coffee for me. It was work standing there trying to get water, keep my balance, light the stove and keep the flame under the pot without gimbling it (didn’t want it banging into my legs). I was getting dizzy! My glasses were missing from the table and nowhere to be found. They must have gone flying somewhere during the night. This is one of those days where nobody is moving from the anchorages and truth be told, it’d be difficult for us to move if an opening came up in the north anchorage.

We had quite a bit of chaffing on our bridle/mooring line with all the pitching and rolling last night so our chore for the day, after napping, was to put a new line (two) onto the mooring ball. This proved to be no small feat with the waves/current but with a little team work and our engine we managed it (even though the engine didn’t want to start).

After that, I tried to turn on my computer. For some reason I was locked out of it. It wouldn’t accept my password no matter what. I thought Wayne was playing a joke on me. No. He wasn’t. I tried his password to his account. It wouldn’t work. What???? After half an hour of trying to turn on the computer, Wayne’s password finally worked but I couldn’t get to my documents. I finally turned it off, then back on, and my password finally worked and I was able to get into my documents. I decided that I’d better back up everything while I could. I pulled out my portable hard drives and managed to drop one. Oops. Guess I’m not using that one. Hope there wasn’t anything important on it. I couldn’t access it. After transferring pictures, documents and mail to the other hard drive I figured I’d check to see if there was a wireless signal here today. Error with the configuration of the wireless network connection??? Arghhhhhh! I never changed anything! Wreckin! Freckin! smecker! I was getting the message that this wireless system wasn’t the one in charge of this account or some nonsense…

I decided to plug in my sprint card to see if that fixed the error, even though I’d never seen such a thing before. My sprint card was not in its pouch. It was nowhere to be found. This started a serious tearing apart of the boat to find it! Since I haven’t been able to use it in the Bahamas I thought, wellll maybe I stashed it away until we got back into the states. I went through all the likely drawers, bags, and cupboards where I’d stash electronics. It was nowhere to be found. Back to the table and shelves surrounding the table… nowhere. I did find my reading glasses though. They’d fallen off of the nav station into my book bag. I finally found the sprint card on the cushion behind the table. When the little bag had fallen off the shelf, it must have come out and got buried. Search over.

The Sprint card didn’t make a difference in the setting of the wireless controller. Once again, I turned the computer off. Then back on. The wireless was now acting correctly – no service – but no error message. What a day… Electronic gremlins, waves, wind and no sleep… But we were safely ensconced on a mooring at least so didn’t have to worry about dragging… uhm, I did have the anchor alarm on though – just in case our bridle broke in the wind and waves. Ahhh…. another day in paradise.

No comments:

Post a Comment