Monday, January 4, 2010

Monday, January 4, 2010 Vero Beach/Satellite Beach Fl


It started out a brisk day. It went down to freezing last night so we kicked the heat on when we got up, had some coffee and went ashore to meet Patti & John. We went a little early and ran into Cordelia at the bus stop. We chatted with them and gave them a bus schedule. They were taking Thisbe to the doggie park. That is the best mannered little dog I think that I’ve ever seen. Then Patti & John showed up and whisked us to Satellite Beach. Their Condo is nice. It’s definitely an old bachelor pad. I guess the owner got married and still kept it. I don’t know if it’s just for rentals or a vacation place for them or what, but it’s kind of unique in my book. It has a bed in the master suite that has a Jacuzzi tub built onto it where you’d normally have a headboard. I must say, I’ve never seen such a thing. They have pinball machines, a dining table that reverses to a poker table, a foosball table, a megatouch video game (with many games on it – poker, 21, trivia challenges, um some adult in nature), a juke box (that really works), 3 TVs, one wall completely mirrored; a true throne toilet where you climb up 3 steps; It’s on the 8th floor (one down from the penthouse floor) and has a spectacular view of the ocean all the way down to Cocoa beach. You can see the Cape Canaveral launch pads from the patio balcony and I imagine when they have night launches that they have a terrific view. It’s a nice way to spend the winter months, except I think that the winter has followed them and us here LOL

Mirrored Wall that runs the length of the room up to the kitchen

Looking back towards the patio. The Table flips to a poker table.


Foosball and a Jukebox!

A view of the Jacuzzi Headboard

Looking down at the beach from Patti & John's Condo

Looking across the patio towards Cocoa Beach

Looking towards Coco Beach at daybreak

Sunrise view from the condo

We walked down to a park along the beach and took the beach route back. The park is a mini nature preserve with a walking boardwalk trail. There are plaques describing the various birds, vegetation, etc., and I found the name of our Christmas visitor. It’s a Ruddy Turnstone. :) From there we walked to the store for glasses, then back to the condo. It was a nice walk. With the sun out and because it was a cool day, it made me miss our walks at home. Later we went out to dinner at a place called the Lobster Shanty. Terrific salad bar with frozen metal salad plates, a very rich lobster bisque’ and a new taste treat for my taste buds – Rock Shrimp. I’d never had those before and they were quite good. They’re like a cross between lobsters and shrimp. They actually have a hard shell that’s sturdier than lobster – more like armor. Looking at them from the back side reminded me of a chiton’s exoskeleton (back) – thick girdled but when you turn it over you see the little shrimp bristled legs & tail sticking out at you – not a mollusk at all. Dipped in butter they’re quite tasty! I guess they’re not as popular because of the hard protective girdle; there was no mass market for them. So, they weren’t economically feasible for harvesting. The shrimpers used to pitch them back in the water, but they are a taste treat. I think they’re becoming more popular. I know I’d order them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment