Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Wednesday, November 18, 2009 Deltaville to Norfolk VA - Mile Zero.

Sunrise 6:46am/Sunset 4:53pm - Low Tide 5:23am/High Tide 11:22am - Winds predicted: 15-25 knots gusts 30 - Waves 1-4 ft building to 5-6 ft

Heading out for Norfolk today (the largest Naval Base in the world) – We’re finally on our way?! Sunrise approaches.


I’d forgotten how much I love sunrise on the water. It felt good to feel the sun on my face and the helm beneath my hands. I watched a fat black cormorant dancing across the water as he ran on top of the water trying to take flight and then saw my first pelicans of the season flying next to us dipping and buzzing along the lowest part of the air above the water. What expert fliers!

As soon as we followed the trail of buoys out of Deltaville (stayed 10 feet off the green marker so we didn’t run ashore – thank you Ed) and got safely into 15-20 ft depth and deeper waters, Wayne took a Dramamine and we were off into the sunrise. Those 8 ft depths make me nervous, especially when we look like we’re about to run into someone’s front yard.

The Dramamine didn’t seem to help much. Wayne didn’t look too good and he was seasick the rest of the day. We did manage to get the main up and motor sailed all day. At one point I actually hit 8.57 knots in speed - Wow! As the day went on, the wind and waves grew. It felt rough being a one-man show, difficult to do anything with the sail, or read the chart or chart plotter while handling the boat in the wind and waves. Unfortunately anytime poor Wayne had to change position he was sick so I tried to bother him as little as possible. Coming into Norfolk the Coast Guard made us move over a bit (outside the channel) for one of the Naval Ships coming into the harbor. It was neat seeing the little orange zodiac with the machine guns coming up to us to talk to us – they were pretty cool. Next came a larger Coast Guard boat leading the way for an Aegis Missile Cruiser – the latest vessel in electronic warfare. They don’t look impressive on the outside but from what I hear they look like a video arcade on the inside. A big plain gray floating fortress of missile and electronic might!

We got in and anchored at sunset and I hate to say it but it’s hot tea, sun chips, cookies and fruit snacks for dinner. After setting the hook (anchor) I went to shut the motor off and it wouldn’t go off. So we had to take the panel apart to shut it off – the button would not push in… Hopefully it was just a wire or something blocking it from when Mack had it apart.

I just don’t feel like cooking anything after standing at the helm for 10 hours. My arms and wrists are sore, my feet are wet and cold my hair looks like a rats nest since I wasn't able to put it up, and I’m just plain tired. Now if we can just not drag tonight. Last time we stayed here next to Tidewater Marina at Hospital Pt. We drug into the channel (with perfect timing though).

Tomorrow it’s on to the Dismal Swamp. No pictures taken today – the camera never made it up top.


2 comments:

  1. Living life, tasting experiences, being close to nature can be exhausting. Still beats 10 hours a day with hormonal teenagers & attitudes! Even if the pay scale isn't close... Welcome to your other home Mom & Dad. Love you both & couldn't be happier for you.

    Love,
    S

    ReplyDelete